Time Travel

• 18 posts
    November 19, 2022 8:00 AM CST
    Time Travel

Question: Could you actually travel through time and if so alter the past or future or bring back technology and knowledge that you could pretend you invented or thought of and if so, what would be the ramifications?

My thoughts as i was taught.
    Simply the answer is mostly a no.

As the reasons are these. Going Back in time.
    1, If i went back in time and altered the past to make certain events not happen or make new events happen i would or could most likely wipe out my future existence. Totally change my possible future where i would not need to go back in time to alter events. But then did i go back in time and change the past ?

Theory number 1:
    today is year november 19 2022. I know that ww2 happened by Hitler by his actions in the early 1930s. So i go back in time and not kill him but set him on a different much more pleasant path where he did good in the world.

However here is the problem.
    Because of Hitler and ww2 my grandparents met each other and had a daughter (my mother) now she has a son (me).
    If i go back in time to change the path of hitler (to a good happier path) my grandparents did not meet and did not have a daughter and thus i was not born and so i did not go back in time and send hitler on a good path so the ww2 still happened.

Theory number 2:
    If i go into the future ( november 19 2230) and see a great piece of tech (medicine or technology device) that could cure cancer, i then bring back that tech to my year november 19 2022 and present it to the world as my invention, would this then not change the future to the point that the inventor in year 2230 did not invent the tech and therefore would the tech just disappear from existence in my timeline 2022.
    If the inventor did not invent the tech i could not have brought it back. If i did bring it back it could not be invented in the future...

Oh now my head hurts...
    • 385 posts
    November 19, 2022 10:06 AM CST

Well, that's quite an conundrum about time travel.  I'm inclined to agree leave time travel alone. Maybe deploy the Prime Directive (Star Trek) in any case of time travel?

Seriously though, considering how we all got here and what would have happened if certain events in the past didn't happen, then we wouldn't be here at this moment in time. 

WW2 was pivotal for so many people from all over the world. Had my husband's father not had different orders in the Navy, my husband wouldn't be here (ship was bombed)...so I'm glad the change of orders that took place kept my husband's dad alive, though I can't acknowledge that without saying my condolences for all the brave men that were lost that day and during the entire war.

• 40 posts
    November 20, 2022 10:17 PM CST

My best explanation for time travel paradoxes is the multi-verse theory.  That is, for every quantum or such interaction, every possible outcome occurs, in various alternate realities.  So if I were to go back in time with the plans to erase my own existence, I'd simply spawn an alternate reality where I don't exist, but it would not affect MY reality, thus avoiding a paradox. The same can be said for those traveling into the future and back...

I have various other theories as well, but I'm tired and require slumber. 

• 385 posts
    November 23, 2022 6:33 PM CST

I really like your paradox theory @Zoldus.  I could live with that and I wouldn't have to worry if I messed up something from the past while messing with time travel.  So now you have to dish your other various theories someday