Everyone's Shtick

• 383 posts
    January 28, 2022 10:33 AM CST

The origin of shtick is Yiddish for gimmick. 

When we were young, we watched the old western movies and often some of the scenes that contained colorful characters had "snake oil salesmen" that would give their best "shtick" on a miracle cure for any ailment.  Laudanum, was the most common syrup promise in a bottle.  Laudanum was an opium tincture and contained about 10% powdered opium. No surprise!

As much as I regret aging, there is wisdom that comes with aging.  Your brain begins to have a tremendous recall of events, news, and statistics and just like an amazing computer allows you to put all of that collective information together to bring clarity to a subject.

One of my earliest recalls on a product that promised a cure, was from Dr. Perricone's book, The Wrinkle Cure.  Dr. Perricone put to task promising that Alpha Lipoic Acid was the "shtick" to make your wrinkles go away.  After reading that book, I was highly persuaded to buy all the new products that now contained Alpha Lipoic Acid.  I'm not saying there isn't validation to his research, but what I am saying is that what was promised and what was experienced were not in line and I felt a little betrayed.  Now Dr. Perricone's products are available little miracle cures with an expensive price tag.  No thank you!  What I learned from this and have been able to apply to any new promise from any industry, rather it be nutritional, beauty, food, medical cures, government recommendations (think the food pyramid etc.), disease cures, and really very skeptical when there's a "wave" or push towards an end game. 

I've learned to do my research, ask a lot of "why's" and remain in observance until I'm very sure before moving forward or taking any action, especially if there's potential to do harm, to my body that I'm supposed to take care of.

There are a myriad of politicians, national and global organizations reaching out with their shtick.  It's our job to evaluate their platforms and determine what their bottom line message is and if their message is well meaning or if their message is to create chaos, dissent, or hate.  Look at some of the life time people with messaging that always stirs the pot, keeps people very agitated and upset, rather then bringing people together.  If your organization brings people together from all walks of life and helps to heal fissures, etc, then I'd say you are doing God's work.  The organizations that keep the wedge in place, keeps dividing are the organizations that are concerning.

There are also doctor's and researcher's that may appear to have your best interest in mind, but don't be deceived because that's how the stay in business too.  They come up with a 'shtick that sticks' and expands on it, markets it until it becomes a behemoth of a brand and company.  Finding businesses with integrity, honesty and a product or service that truly serves what it's promised to do, should be the norm.  Too many companies, corporations, sports teams, etc., are also not staying in their lane, and choosing to not just speak for their product but now take sides on some polarizing issues.  I've always much preferred not knowing where an actor or actress stands on an issue.  I appreciate those professionals that do their best to stay neutral as opposed to those that write or make comments for shock value.  That's not helpful in today's society.

Right now, our country and the world is going through a very difficult time about what to believe and what not to believe. I can guarantee there is ALWAYS a money trail.

My best advice, ask yourself what is the endgame, what is the shtick?

This post was edited by Web Diva at August 20, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
    • 383 posts
    May 11, 2022 6:59 PM CDT

Has anyone noticed lately how many gimmicks there are, prolific, especially online, but also ubiquitous in almost every form of business?  How do you differentiate a real modern marvel gadget from a poorly made widget? 

For me personally, I like online reviews.  Even those reviews you have to sift through too, because some aren't real and competitors like to dis another competitors products.  Friends are a great resource for advice on a product.  I'm a little leery of review websites because they are often biased or owned by the company that wants to be rated as the best.  I do like online review companies without biased or any skin in the game.  I also like those websites that have real people reviewing products and their experience.  Those are the websites I have the most trust in their reviews.