What's on your mind?

• 379 posts
    October 5, 2021 6:25 PM CDT

The past few years, most of us have hesitated in discussing online any topics that may be controversial, triggering, and despite careful phrasing of inquiry, may be offensive to some.  We are living through extraordinary times with challenges on how to have thoughtful discussions without all out posting brawls.

I truly believe the art of conversation is taking the time to understand someone else's point.  Really, process what they are saying.  We are all different, having grown up in many parts of the world, exposed to various cultures, languages and religious beliefs. 

Agreeing to disagree is okay, as long as it's done in a respectful way.  We all have our passions and hot buttons but that is the perfect platform for us to show our best and not our worst by taking the time to explore other perspectives.  When having delicate conversations on tough topics, we all can learn from each other.  There is no "win" in these types of conversations, but there is a matter of respect that's earned from each other when we all do our best to communicate our passions and beliefs.

I truly believe Friend's Realm members can set a new example of how people can show their best even at odds.  

This post was edited by Web Diva at December 30, 2021 9:26 AM CST
    • 18 posts
    November 10, 2021 11:10 AM CST

I agree totally.

So il kick this off.

Pineapple on Pizza, I like it, The sour pineapple taste and the mild taste of Ham. MMmm nice..

Dont hate me, 

mikel

• 379 posts
    November 10, 2021 11:56 AM CST
    Mikel Coreclark said:

I agree totally.

So il kick this off.

Pineapple on Pizza, I like it, The sour pineapple taste and the mild taste of Ham. MMmm nice..

Dont hate me, 

mikel

Lexi and I like pineapple on our pizza too!!  I ordered a weird sounding pizza from Dominoes' pizza recently; ham, bacon, barbeque sauce, ground beef on flat bread.  It was like a light bruschetta.

• 18 posts
    November 16, 2021 7:46 AM CST

MMMmmmmm thats sounds like a Calzone... a Mixed meat and BBQ sauce calzone..  MMmm really nice.  

• 379 posts
    November 16, 2021 8:03 AM CST
    Mikel Coreclark said:

MMMmmmmm thats sounds like a Calzone... a Mixed meat and BBQ sauce calzone..  MMmm really nice.  

Some true foodies here.    Cheers to great food! 

This post was edited by Web Diva at November 16, 2021 8:03 AM CST
    • 46 posts
    November 17, 2021 12:52 PM CST
    Web Diva said:

The past few years, most of us have hesitated in discussing online any topics that may be controversial, triggering, and despite careful phrasing of inquiry, may be offensive to some.  We are living through extraordinary times with challenges on how to have thoughtful discussions without all out posting brawls.

I truly believe the art of conversation is taking the time to understand someone else's point.  Really, process what they are saying.  We are all different, having grown up in many parts of the world, exposed to various cultures, languages and religious beliefs. 

Agreeing to disagree is okay, as long as it's done in a respectful way.  We all have our passions and hot buttons but that is the perfect platform for us to show our best and not our worst by taking the time to explore other perspectives.  When having delicate conversations on tough topics, we all can learn from each other.  There is no "win" in these type of conversations, but there is a matter of respect that's earned from each other when we all do our best to communicate our passions and beliefs.

I truly believe Friend's Realm member's can set a new example of how people can show their best even at odds.  

Overtime, the tolerance of, and communication with others on topics controversial, or even non-controversial, have grown increasingly worse and more hostile. Our society has breed the toxic concept of, "cancel-culture", feeding into the over-reactive tendencies of people all around social platforms, with an unfortunate amount of people eagerly awaiting any sort of slip-up from any sort of well-known individual, so they can start a grand movement to, "cancel them".

The volatility of people today can be shocking, and it can be easy to lose faith in social media, or simply people in general. While it can be a rarity to find a safe place to post, with rational people to have a thought-provoking and respectful discussion on thoughts and opinions, it's a great thing when you have a place such as that to interact and socialize. 

This post was edited by Web Diva at November 10, 2022 5:33 PM CST
    • 379 posts
    November 18, 2021 3:45 PM CST

I couldn't have said it better.  The level of hostility online is way above normal.  It's okay to be passionate in what you believe in, but if someone disagrees with you, recognize, that it's really okay and they shouldn't have to bend to your will.  Try to understand their points and why they are not on the same page as you.  You would be surprised how much you can learn from other people if you take a step back and really listen.  You may never be able to persuade the other person to agree with you.  Being hateful, and hostile seems to be the new norm.  I'd like to see people learn to accept each others differences again, realize that each of us are individually made, our cultural environments, our faiths, and ideologies, make us all unique.  I was reared that it was okay to be different.  Being different in the way I was, allowed me to have compassion for those that needed friends when I was in high school.  I didn't really care what people thought of me if I talked to someone that needed a friend or a place to sit with someone.  From the time I was young, I never liked people mistreating other people.  I'm still that way.