Neorodiverse

• 385 posts
    January 13, 2024 10:44 AM CST

What is neurodiversity?

Neurodiversity describes the idea that people experience and interact with the world around them in many different ways; there is no one "right" way of thinking, learning, and behaving, and differences are not viewed as deficits.

The word neurodiversity refers to the diversity of all people, but it is often used in the context of autism spectrum disorder (ASD), as well as other neurological or developmental conditions such as ADHD or learning disabilities. The neurodiversity movement emerged during the 1990s, aiming to increase acceptance and inclusion of all people while embracing neurological differences. Through online platforms, more and more autistic people were able to connect and form a self-advocacy movement. At the same time, Judy Singer, an Australian sociologist, coined the term neurodiversity to promote equality and inclusion of "neurological minorities." While it is primarily a social justice movement, neurodiversity research and education is increasingly important in how clinicians view and address certain disabilities and neurological conditions.

Most people may not be aware of this aspect of autism as people on the spectrum experience the world differently. 

I found this article of this young man, Ted Kempf, that is neorudiverse and was inspired to create a touring/vacation experience for people that are neorudiverse. 

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/wanderrock-neurodiverse-tour-group

Kempf launched WanderRock with cofounder Danny Raede in late 2019. The crew planned to focus on creating tours full of hands-on curated experiences that allowed neurodiverse travelers in their 20s and early 30s to experience destinations in ways that worked best for them.

I think this is groundbreaking innovation and I hope more companies are inspired to add accessibility options in their businesses and venues for the neurodiverse too.

This post was edited by Web Diva at January 13, 2024 10:45 AM CST
    • 47 posts
    February 1, 2024 1:17 PM CST

Wow, that's so interesting, I'm not sure I've heard the explanation of neurodiversity before. That's really cool that there are people creating better travel experiences for those that experience the world in a different way. 

• 385 posts
    March 17, 2024 10:48 AM CDT
    Alexis Bello said:

Wow, that's so interesting, I'm not sure I've heard the explanation of neurodiversity before. That's really cool that there are people creating better travel experiences for those that experience the world in a different way. 

I might not have picked up on the significance of this article had I not been enlightened about this condition through an online experience.  We're all different and it's nice to know there's a great outreach and recognition for peoples needs, agreed.