Latent Viruses- how the affect your during your lifetime

• 385 posts
    January 6, 2024 11:00 AM CST

Some people have been exposed to certain viruses that once you have had the infection, these viruses are considered latent viruses, such as Epstein Barr (Mono) and CMV (affects the elderly) which remain in your body indefinitely and can cause issues, either with a relapse or cancer later in life.

https://www.summahealth.org/flourish/entries/2023/05/5-viruses-that-can-cause-complications-later

Latency is a survival strategy some viruses use to stay alive and spread. Latent viruses remain in the body and enter a latent phase, where the virus is inactive and does not actively replicate. Then, later on — many years, in some cases — the virus can come out of hiding and undergo a reactivation phase, where it begins to replicate and infect cells causing a repeat infection.

I've wondered what effects long covid has on people with previous latent viral infections, or if long covid will eventually become a latent virus?

• 47 posts
    January 10, 2024 3:22 PM CST

I've heard of latent viruses before, but only knew a little bit about it. I enjoyed reading the article, with further explanation of it as well as a list of latent viruses themselves. It's interesting to contemplate how covid will transform over the years, and if it will become a latent virus itself. Long covid definitely has potential with what I've heard about it. 

• 385 posts
    January 13, 2024 10:03 AM CST
    Alexis Bello said:

I've heard of latent viruses before, but only knew a little bit about it. I enjoyed reading the article, with further explanation of it as well as a list of latent viruses themselves. It's interesting to contemplate how covid will transform over the years, and if it will become a latent virus itself. Long covid definitely has potential with what I've heard about it. 

Long covid is certainly a concern, it's acting like shingles in the way that it's debilitating over the long term, but without the rash, yet can surface anytime activated by stress or immune issues. 

There are lab tests that can test to see if one has any of the latent viruses.  Some people don't even know they've had Mono, yet, this very virus can wreck havoc on immunity and wellness for a life time.

• 78 posts
    January 29, 2024 10:18 AM CST

yes, living with long covid is just no fun. Though Chris Cuomo is doing a great job shining a light on the issue as he has it too. He's on News Nation in case anyone wants to watch. There's some progress on research finally. Shingles is another one of those latent viruses from chicken pox, mentioned in the article you posted. At least there's a vaccine for it.

• 47 posts
    January 31, 2024 10:19 AM CST
    Techi Jedi said:

yes, living with long covid is just no fun. Though Chris Cuomo is doing a great job shining a light on the issue as he has it too. He's on News Nation in case anyone wants to watch. There's some progress on research finally. Shingles is another one of those latent viruses from chicken pox, mentioned in the article you posted. At least there's a vaccine for it.

That's great they've made some progress!