Hypothyroidism tips

• 78 posts
    January 4, 2024 8:10 AM CST

I figured to share this and wanted it in a place that could be referred to rather than just sharing in the activity feed. I've had hypothyroidism for many years and it seems to be hereditary as my mom and grandmothers all had it. My daughter has Hashimotos as well. 

I get newsletters from Women's Health Network and find their articles to be pretty good. here's one about Hypothyroidism and some tips for how to get your T levels at a healthy amount and possibly even be able to go off the meds. https://www.womenshealthnetwork.com/thyroid-health/why-you-might-not-need-thyroid-medication/

Normally I don't like to just link share without discussing, but this time that's what I'm doing. 

• 385 posts
    January 13, 2024 10:21 AM CST
    Techi Jedi said:

I figured to share this and wanted it in a place that could be referred to rather than just sharing in the activity feed. I've had hypothyroidism for many years and it seems to be hereditary as my mom and grandmothers all had it. My daughter has Hashimotos as well. 

I get newsletters from Women's Health Network and find their articles to be pretty good. here's one about Hypothyroidism and some tips for how to get your T levels at a healthy amount and possibly even be able to go off the meds. https://www.womenshealthnetwork.com/thyroid-health/why-you-might-not-need-thyroid-medication/

Normally I don't like to just link share without discussing, but this time that's what I'm doing. 

Thank you for sharing your personal experience with hypothyroidism and the challenges with your daughter's Hashimotos. 

Your article is the first positive article I've read about thyroid conditions and how to be able to improve your thyroid function to the point of maybe not needing medication.  It's an overall best health approach with many suggestions including diet changes that are customized to "you", advice on minerals like recommending selenium and iron, which I do take for other health reasons already. 

Of interest, the challenges with the symptoms:

Low thyroid symptoms, such as fatigue, weight gain and sensitivity to cold, can appear when your body has difficulty converting the thyroid hormone T4 (thyroxine) into our most active thyroid hormone T3 (triiodothyronine), which does the vast majority of thyroid work. That conversion runs smoothly when everything’s in good shape, but unfortunately, there can be problems with that process.

Also what happens with thyroid medication that I didn't know about the conversion of T4, which makes sense that thyroid medication may not work for everyone.

When your thyroid is low enough that your doctor gives you a prescription for your condition, it’s almost always in the form of Synthroid, Levoxyl or the generic version of those drugs — levothyroxine.

However, all of those drugs are just T4, and your doctor is prescribing them based on the assumption that T4 is going to convert to T3 in your body.