Spellcheck is wonky with new update

• 385 posts
    December 4, 2023 10:40 PM CST

I'm a creature of habit and I'm used to correcting my misspelled words by recognizing the red underlined word, highlighting it and seeing the suggested words to replace.

See below screen shot.  I spelled "spelling" incorrectly on purpose, highlighted the word to get the correct spelling and clicked on it.  This screen shot is from another website that hasn't been updated yet.

Since this new update, I can not highlight, right click, and retrieve the correct word. 

If I have a misspelled word, and go to highlight or even if it's not a misspelled word and highlight, I get the below link button when I right click.  I've looked in the TinyMCE editor settings.

Since I already figured out this new editor wants me to use command keys for the copy paste, I thought that maybe with correcting a misspelled word, this new update would require the same use in a command.

I tried:  press Ctrl+Alt+X, but that didn't work either.

What could I be doing wrong?🤓

• 78 posts
    December 5, 2023 8:21 AM CST

As most browsers have their own spellcheck, if you want to use a spellcheck, I suggest using your browser tools. 

Enable it:

tested this

The above is not spelled correctly so I highlighted it as it shows with the red underline:

Now I'll select "show spelling and grammar"

It'll bring up a list and I can fix the text:

Which I did and when you read this, the word will change from what you saw in the screenshots to "tested".

• 78 posts
    December 5, 2023 8:29 AM CST

Just so you know, TinyMCE deprecated it with the update so it's not available but it is in the browser so you still have an option.Their documentation shows we could do a customization to enable browser based editing but since it works with the browser already, I'm not sure we need to customize. Let me know if you want it, https://www.tiny.cloud/docs/general-configuration-guide/spell-checking/#browser-basedspellchecking

• 385 posts
    December 5, 2023 9:30 AM CST

Thank you for visuals and tutorial.  I use Mozilla Firefox and I have all of those settings correct.  I had tested on Chrome yesterday and had the same results.  I just checked my Chrome settings and they are correct, set to check spelling as you type. 

After taking a look at your link, it would seem that is what is needed to customize.  I'll check on my Mac and see what results I'm getting first.

I'm still looking into this though, thank you for your suggestions.

• 78 posts
    December 5, 2023 9:40 AM CST

But I was able to do the spellcheck without any problem, shown in the above screenshots. Are you following the steps?

• 78 posts
    December 5, 2023 9:43 AM CST

Let me try to make a video.Customizations are a last step and can lead to vulnerabilities.

• 78 posts
    December 5, 2023 9:51 AM CST
    • 385 posts
    December 5, 2023 7:18 PM CST

Thank you for your video.🌹

I went to my Mac to reproduce your screen shots in Chrome.  Mozilla Firefox is structured a bit different for spell check, but I believe I have both adjusted right.  I will play with it some more in the morning. 

• 78 posts
    December 15, 2023 8:07 AM CST

Spellcheck enabled, editor "edited" lol. Full width, spoiler alerts, etc. Clear browser cache if you don't see the changes and please let me know if there are issues. Thanks, oh and smileys are now Twimoji.

This post was edited by Techi Jedi at December 15, 2023 8:08 AM CST