9 Signs You Might Be a Highly Sensitive Person (and What That Actually Means)

• 385 posts
    November 18, 2023 10:54 AM CST

If you have lived long enough and experienced meeting many different people in your lives then you understand that everyone is beautifully made and with that everyone is different.

We all respond to different input and stimuli even if it's the same experience.  One of us can watch a movie and not be moved or scared by it, while others will be brought to tears.  There is no wrong or right reaction, it's who we are.

I'm a bit ruined having watched enough of Big Bang Theory and recalling Bernadette's comments as her industry is pharmaceutical, but she can be quoted in one of her episodes as saying to create a pharmaceutical, you have to create the disease. This is actually true in real life, so I read this article for the interest in sensitive people and not for the diagnosis that that Dr. Elaine Aron gave it.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/9-signs-you-might-be-a-highly-sensitive-person-and-what-that-actually-means?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

It’s easy to focus on the negatives, but being a HSP can actually be a wonderful thing – and identifying whether or not the HSP label applies to you can make it easier to understand your behaviours and mak accommodations in the future

For the record, I disagree with labels too.  I think it's damaging to people to believe because they have a condition, that's who they are.  They might have a condition, but it's only part of them.

My blog on labeling:

https://friendsrealm.com/blogs/2/54/the-downside-to-assigning-labels-to-people

• 47 posts
    November 21, 2023 11:58 AM CST

Interesting article! I definitely fall into this category, pretty much relating to each of the characteristics mentioned. While the writer mentioned this is a trait, not a diagnosis, if it was, I would have it :p

• 385 posts
    December 9, 2023 10:22 AM CST

It's okay to be sensitive as compassion runs on the higher end of your emotions which is a good driver for better decision making in my opinion.  Sometimes it's hard being sensitive because that can take a toll too.  It's a fine balance.😇

• 47 posts
    December 21, 2023 12:50 AM CST
    Web Diva said:

It's okay to be sensitive as compassion runs on the higher end of your emotions which is a good driver for better decision making in my opinion.  Sometimes it's hard being sensitive because that can take a toll too.  It's a fine balance.😇

Compassion is definitely a great quality to have! Though I agree, being super sensitive can get so taxing, everything bothers me sometimes XD 

• 385 posts
    January 13, 2024 10:31 AM CST
    Alexis Bello said:
    Web Diva said:

Compassion is definitely a great quality to have! Though I agree, being super sensitive can get so taxing, everything bothers me sometimes XD 

It is hard when you feel the weight of emotion on every decision because it often doesn't just affect you, it affects other's too.  Try not to over think it. 🤓 Let it go 🤗

• 47 posts
    February 1, 2024 1:34 PM CST
    Web Diva said:
    Alexis Bello said:
    Web Diva said:

It is hard when you feel the weight of emotion on every decision because it often doesn't just affect you, it affects other's too.  Try not to over think it. 🤓 Let it go 🤗

Yeah, I get that, you're totally right! Also, I love that song, haven't heard it in awhile but it brings back so much nostalgia! 

• 385 posts
    February 6, 2024 7:39 PM CST
    Alexis Bello said:
    Web Diva said:
    Alexis Bello said:
    Web Diva said:

Yeah, I get that, you're totally right! Also, I love that song, haven't heard it in awhile but it brings back so much nostalgia! 

....and could you ever belt this song out when you sang it too! ❤️

• 40 posts
    February 12, 2024 7:18 PM CST

In recent years, I've come to realize I have a gift.  I'm an Empath.  I can read people really easily.  Micro expressions, facial movements, body stance, I can feel emotions from others very strongly.

This sure explains a lot! lol

• 47 posts
    February 13, 2024 12:12 AM CST
    Drac Morbis said:

In recent years, I've come to realize I have a gift.  I'm an Empath.  I can read people really easily.  Micro expressions, facial movements, body stance, I can feel emotions from others very strongly.

This sure explains a lot! lol

That's awesome! That's really cool to be able to analyze people in that way, and better understand their emotions as such. I feel like I'm personally very sensitive to people's way of speaking, and their movements, which is really helpful to identify what someone else is feeling or expressing. Though sometimes I might fall into the trap of overanalyzing the little things because of it :p