How to Be Grateful

• 385 posts
    August 28, 2023 7:29 PM CDT

How to be grateful.  Have you ever met someone that just didn't get it and rarely said thank you?

Here's a compilation of articles to read on how to be grateful.  Maybe we all have something to learn?

https://getpocket.com/collections/how-to-be-grateful?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

You might be one “thank you” away from a much better mood. Science (and celebrities—just ask Oprah.) have proven time and again that gratitude may be the closest thing we have to a silver bullet to a better life. Read on to explore how gratitude works, how to make giving thanks a way of life, and why the return on investment is so enormous.

• 22 posts
    August 31, 2023 3:33 PM CDT

Saying "Thank you" and "Please" go hand in hand with good manners brought on by a good up-bringing, I always do and "Gratitude" IS SO important, but sadly, it seems to be diminishing by the younger population I have noticed! 

After all, "Thank you" and "Please" do not cost anything does it? 

• 385 posts
    September 1, 2023 9:20 AM CDT

People from the southern parts of the United States have always been known for their politeness, eager to help and their manners.  Over the past twenty years or so, I've noticed how much manners have changed here too. Hearing "please" and "thank you" is less common. Much less people make eye contact anymore as everyone is hooked up with their devices.

Back in the 1970's when the women's liberation movement took over, women were heck-bent on "liberating themselves" from the constraints of a so called male dominate society and took their liberation's as far as being insulted if a man even dared to open the door for them.  I think this is a tragedy as politeness and chivalry is a great character quality along with a polite "thank you" in gratitude from the recipient of the polite gesture. 

*For those into the pronoun construct, I mean no insult, I just don't know how to discuss the 1970's in "they" or "them" in any other way.

So yes, saying please and thank you doesn't cost anything as @Mark Ransome mentioned....what's the harm in being polite or grateful?  The more people that get back to good manners, maybe a better trend will start for future generations?